Friday, September 24, 2010

5 Petal Daisy Tutorial

I'd like to share another flower tutorial with you that I used on my layout Be Free Be You.  I do have one slight problem with these tutorials that I've been making and it is that I have no clue what to name these flowers that I come up with.  So...if any of you have a better name, please feel free to share it with me, and if I like it, I'll use it!  Thanks so much!

For this latest flower, I used my 3 daisy punches.  2 of the extra large, which are about 3", 2 of the whale of a punch, which are about 2", and 1 medium which is 1".  I also used a Punch Bunch punch for the stamens.

Supplies:  Glue
Scissors
Daisy punches - 2-3", 2-2", and 1-1"
stamen punch, thick thread, or tiny strips of paper
pearl
small paintbrush or skewer


1.  On all flowers, snip between two petals halfway into the center, then overlap those two petals and glue them together to make 5 petal flowers.

2.  I make the center flower (1") with the stamens first so it has time to dry while making the other.
*I use three punched stamens in mine.  If you don't have a punch, you can just cut some small pieces of paper or you can use thick pieces of thread and tie a knot in one end.

*  Put a glob of clear drying glue (I like Aleene's quick dry tacky glue) in the center of the smallest flower, then stick the stamens into it (if using thread, stick the un-knotted end into the glue).  Then put a pearl in the middle of the stamens.  Set this aside to dry.

3.  The 2 largest, smoosh the bottoms a bit so the flower will sit flat.


4.  Then, on the 2 largest, using the small paintbrush, curl each petal backwards.  On the 2" (middle size) flowers, you can do them 3 different ways.
  • Curl the petals back on the layer that will go on bottom and leave the petals straight on the top flower (flower to the far right in the bottom pic)
  • Leave both of them straight (middle flower in the bottom pic)
  • Leave the bottom flower petals straight and curl back the petals on the top flower (flower to the far left in the bottom pic)
In my example, I left the bottom layer flower (brown) straight and curled back the petals on the top flower layer (green).


5.  Layer & glue the layers alternating the petals


6.  Take your small center flower with the stamens and pearl and glue it into this flower.

Completed flowers

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks super cool! Thanks for sharing!